Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Unfortunate Self - A Poem by Aman


I'm taking a big risk here by publishing a poem I wrote in April 2007. This was during my intense research on the 19th Century Mughal Poet Mirza Ghalib. I was greatly inspired by him to write a poem, of course no where near his calibre and also in English. Before you all enquire about my state of mind and how close I am to jumping into the bath tub with a hair dryer let me tell you that I am fine! I think my inspiration was a mixture of self inquiry, spirituality and love.

I start my poem with the inscription that is engraved on the tombstone of Mirza Ghalib's mausoleum in Delhi (see picture), India.

“When there was nothing, there was God
If nothing had been, God would have been
My very being has been my downfall
If I hadn’t been, what would it have mattered?”





Unfortunate Self...

Pain that digs deep within me
Is more fortunate than my Self
For it's weight sees no boundaries
Unlike my unfortunate Self

Love that pierces through me
Is more fortunate than my Self
For it's strength sees no boundaries
Unlike my unfortunate Self

Flowers that fragrant my soul
Are more fortunate than my Self
For their beauty sees no boundaries
Unlike my unfortunate Self

The divine blesses life upon me
And sits wryly above my Self
For his blessings see no boundaries
Unlike my unfortunate Self...

No comments:

Post a Comment