Saturday, 9 August 2008

Pakistani Music: Fear of Rejection


Mehdi Hassan (b.1927) is a prolific ghazal singer from Pakistan. My father has always been a great fan of his and I remember wondering what his songs were all about when I was younger. Some folk have asked me why I translate these ghazals and post them on this blog and what is their connection to the whole aim of my blog. My answer to that is that we seem to disassociate culture, arts and music from Islam for some reason but for me they can quite beautifully blend together. God wants us to seek the beautiful within us and for far too long I failed to realise that so many Pakistanis/South Asians who are a credit my whole existance have laid laid the foundations with their hard work in such fields. It is time to revisit them and be proud of what they have to offer us all. So I decided to pull out one very famous song of his which was featured in a Pakistani film. I've tried to translate it as best as I can and I'm sure the clip will add to that effect. If anyone knows the name of the movie and year of release do let me know.

Saamne Akay Tujhko Pukara Nahi
Teri ruswa’i mujko gawara nahi

In your presence I failed to call you
For I feared your rejection

Zukhm sinay mein tujsey chupa’o ga mein
Pyar ka naam lub pur na la’o ga mein

The wounds of my heart I will forever conceal
For I will not even utter the word of love from my lips

Haar kur bhi yeh baazi mein haara nahi
Teri ruswa’i mujko gawara nahi

Having lost this game I still feel I have not lost
For I feared your rejection

Shukriya tumnay jo dard mujhko diya
Kush raho pir bhi dayta ho tum ko dua

Thank you for the pain that you have given me
But, still I continue to pray for your eternal happiness

Koi shikwa zuban pur tumhara nahi
Teri ruswa’i mujko gawara nahi

My tongue has no grievance towards you
For I feared your rejection

Mujhsey logo nay poochi kahani teri
Kya dekha’o mein unko nishani teri

People asked me about your story
What sign will I show them of yours?

Teray chehray sey purda utara nahi
Teri ruswa’i mujko gawara nahi

I did not take of the veil from your face
For I feared your rejection

Saamne Akay Tujhko Pukara Nahi
Teri ruswa’i mujko gawara nahi

In your presence I failed to call you
For I feared your rejection


No comments:

Post a Comment