Sunday, 24 August 2008

Love, Longing and Leaving


One of my favorite ghazals sung by Farida Khanum is aaj jaane ki zid na karo, 'tonight, don't insist on leaving'. I first heard this a few years ago and the lyrics fascinated me just as much then as they do now. The Pakistani Queen of Ghazal, Farida Khanum, sang this in a very classical ghazal form which has recently been copied by another Queen of Music, Asha Bhosle of India. I am presenting both singers as I think they both offer something different. I quite like the story that is being told in the Asha video clip :)

So, enjoy and just remember the poetry of this ghazal when your loved one tells you stay a little longer...



By Faiyyaz Hashmi
Translated by Ayesha Kaljuvee

Sung by Farida Khanum
Play: Aaj Jaane Ki Zid

Aaj jaane ki zid na karo
Tonight, don’t insist on leaving

Yunhi pehlu mein bethey raho
Sit here close to me

Haaye mar jaayein ge
I will die

Hum to lutt jaayein ge
I will be lost

Aisi baatein kiya na karo
Don't say such things

Aaj jaane ki zid na karo
Tonight, don’t insist on leaving


Tumhi socho zara
Just ponder for a second

kyu'n na rokein tumhey
Why shouldn't I stop you?

jaan jaati hai jab uth ke jaatey ho tum
When my life leaves every time you go

tum ko apni qasam jaan-e-jaa'n
I swear to you, my love

baat itni meri maan lo
Listen to my one request

Aaj jaane ki zid na karo
Tonight, don’t insist on leaving


Waqt ki qaed mein zindagi hai magar
Life is trapped in time's prison but

chand gharriya'n yahi hain jo aazaad hain
These are the few moments that are free

inko khho kar kaheen jaan-e-jaa\'n
By losing them, my love

umr bhar na tarastey raho
Don't start a life of regret

Aaj jaane ki zid na karo
Tonight, don’t insist on leaving

Kitna masoom aur rangeen hai yeh sama
How innocent and colorful is the weather

husn aur ishq ki aaj me'raj hai
It is the reign of beauty and love

kal ki kis ko khabar jaan-e-jaa\'n
Who knows what tomorrow will bring

rok lo aaj ki raat ko
Let's stop this night right here

Aaj jaane ki zid na karo
Tonight, don’t insist on leaving

2 comments:

  1. Noor Jehan was the queen of ghazals!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Noor Jehan was also a powerful Ghazal singer but I think she was more 'malika-e-tarunum' - Queen of Melody, she was able to entice listeners to any form of music. Farida Khanum however has given us that added touch in Ghazal singing and especially in classical styles which Noor Jehan was not known for.

    ReplyDelete