Tuesday, 1 July 2008

Day 8 - Wimbledon 2008


Someone I didn’t expect to see playing at Wimbledon was playing on Court 18 today with Helena Sukova. Yep, it was the 9 time Wimbledon Singles Champion Martina Navratilova. I had just come off court when I wandered off to see if I could catch a glimpse of her in action. I was in luck and got a superb front row seat, thanks to that special umpires badge that I wear around my neck. If only we all had something around our necks to get us the best seats at places.

I was also greatly impressed by the wildcard Chinese player Jie Zheng who beat Nicole Vaidisova on Court 1 today to book her semi-final place with Serena Williams. Zheng has also decided to donate all her earnings from the tournament to the earthquake victims in Sichuan, the province where around 70,000 people died as a result of May's earthquake, in China. "I would like to give the all prize money but cannot. I need to give back to something like the tennis association. Of course I will donate all my portion. Apart from that, I will do as much as I can to help the Sichuan region people because I'm from Sichuan province, as well. After going back after Wimbledon, I will do more charity work and encourage more people to come to support the stricken region and hope people from Sichuan will have their new homes as soon as possible." A worthy cause, well done Zheng!

I spent most of the day locating the Media Centre for the BBC today as I am presenting Thought for the Day on BBC Radio Scotland on Thursday (3rd July) live from Wimbledon! Keep your ears peeled folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment