Monday, 23 June 2008

Wimbledon 2008 - Day 1


I’m glad Day 1 is over! I was feeling awfully nervous this morning not least because I felt that my Ralph Lauren shirt was too long for me. As I arrived at the All England Club I realised that I had spent too much time thinking about too long or too short, I had a job to do and it had to be done to world class standard. The shirt seem to have grown into me. The officials all met in the ‘Buttery’ where we were allocated our teams and also courts. I was working on Court 15 all day. I doubt it got any coverage on the BBC! It was a lovely day but not for those losing on my court. So, I managed to get hit by a ball in the neck and hide a stray ball in my jacket which was hung around my line umpires chair! The chair umpire just said to me ‘How many times have I told you not to steal the balls’ – the spectators found this rather amusing!

During my breaks I managed to watch the Spaniard Feliciano Lopez on Court 7 and Amelie Mauresmo on Court 2. As an official I have the chance to sit and watch matches on Centre Court and Court 1 but I didn’t quite manage to find the staircase or the row where officials should enter. Oh well, I’ll try and find it tomorrow in time for Nadal’s match.

No comments:

Post a Comment