Monday, 2 June 2008

To be or Not to be 'Muslim'


'You find Muslims in such strange places these days...', I thought, as I came across this ATP interview... I have to confess I have no idea what his name means. Answers on a postcard:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marat_Safin

July 19, 2002
Interview With Marat Safin
Atptennis.com

Q. I read somewhere that your parents named you after the French revolution figure Jean-Paul Marat?

MARAT SAFIN: No, it's just a Muslim name. I think you know that I'm Muslim, you know, the religion. Yeah, that's why they call me this because it is a Muslim name.

Q. Does the name mean something in Muslim? (Hmmmm so now Muslim is the religion, believer and the language --- could we get some educated ATP interviewers in please!)

MARAT SAFIN: Somebody told me, but I forget. I don't know. I don't know. Freedom. I don't know, something good for sure (laughter). Not French revolutionary. But I hope also because of him. Maybe because of him also. Maybe something it's a royalty (laughter).

No comments:

Post a Comment