Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Scotland and Its Lost Treasures


Scotland has some of the most beautiful scenic views in the world but I’m beginning to wonder if we do appreciate it as much as we should. I’m sure we are all thinking about summer and how we hope to spend it. But what is that we seek in our most desired getaway? Is it the bright lights of cities such as New York? Or the exotic beaches of the Far East such as Thailand?


Scotland’s most northerly point has become RSPB Scotland's latest nature reserve. Dunnet Head in Caithness, a 27 acre piece of land, is home to seabirds including kittiwakes, guillemots and puffins. Pete Mayhew of the RSPB Scotland said “It really is a lovely site for wildlife, and the geographical significance makes it even more special’. What I found interesting about this area was that it is a land idyllic from human intervention, now that seems a pleasant spot to be in.


I often wondered about the discussion in Islamic theology about experiencing and understanding God through that which surrounds you. Why has God and the land been connected in this way? I believe that through our environment we can better ourselves. Seeking something beautiful in the Corncrake, great yellow Bumblebee and Twite that inhibit Dunnet Head would surely make anyone think about the big questions in life. The search for meaning and goodness is important to all of us. I cannot think of any travels that have not changed my outlook on life in some way or another. I have only recently ventured out to different scenic locations in Scotland. I went to the Cairngorms mountain range at Aviemore a few weeks ago and as I drove there it reminded me of my favorite passages of the Qur’an, "And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and flowing rivers; and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two; He drew the night as a veil over the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider."

No comments:

Post a Comment