Thursday, 27 March 2008

Punjabi: Contributing to Civilisation

Although I am a great lover of Urdu poetry/ghazals, I am just as much a fan of Punjabi songs too. So, I decided that I would translate this lovely Punjabi song this time. Sung by the beautiful Naseebo Lal live last year, I am presuming somewhere in England. I watched an interview with Naseebo Lal on Pakistan GeoTV recently and was immediately drawn to her down to earth manner. It was very refreshing.

Some background to the language. Urdu and English are the national languages of Pakistan. It is often understood that the localised languages are inferior to Urdu and English which I totally refute. The localised languages such as Punjabi, Balochi, Pushto, Saraiki, Sindhi all have their own special flavour. It is as if it is more ‘posh’ to speak Urdu than these localised languages. So this translation is to highlight the fact that localised languages also have something to offer to Pakistani culture! And I have to say jokes and humour in Punjabi are just so much more fun! :)

Dedicated to all those in a huff....sort it out! :)

Singer: Naseebo Lal
Translation: Amanullah De Sondy

Appa doway rus betay to mana’o kaun wey
Who will resolve our differences if we both sit in a huff?

Meno ki menona si wey
How will you sort things with me?
Tu wi rus chul’ay o
You are going away in a huff
meno sumujhanda se to, aap uth chulay o
You used to make me understand and now you walk away
Jug wek da tamasha gul la'u kaun wey
Society watches us in amusement the show we display, who will hug me now?
Appa doway rus betay to mana’o kaun wey
Who will resolve our differences if we both sit in a huff?

Appa doway rus betay to mana’o kaun wey
Who will resolve our differences if we both sit in a huff?

Teri chah wich bo’a to’ya kudi ko’lay’a
I occasionally open and close the door with you, my love, in mind
Titrich hauk’ay anoo daubh lay’a to lay’a
I sink and diminish emotions within me
Teri rah wich pulka, wicha’o kaun wey
Who else will lay themselves in your path, giving their self up for you?

Ros’aych nungay pul, hunjo’a day tupkay

The moments that pass in a huff, the tears of emotions drop
Chuna ay jo taray nay jo chur day nay chup kay
Beloved, these stars that rise up so quietly
Tootay taray’a’no lub kay lay’ao kaun way
Who will go and find these broken stars?

Appa doway rus betay to mana’o kaun wey
Who will resolve our differences if we both sit in a huff?

Teray naal naseeb meno zindagi ta sath way
With you is my destiny, my life is with you
Teray bina dil de’a sudra udhas wey
Without you the voices of my heart are sad
Meno hunjo’a dub na bach’ao kaun wey
Who will save me drowning in the sea of my emotions?

Appa doway rus betay to mana’o kaun wey
Who will resolve our differences if we both sit in a huff?

1 comment:

  1. cannot stop myself from saying that u have got a wonderful taste, one of the most beautifully written ghazal of urdu language written by one of the most romantic poets of our time Mohsin Naqvi who fell prey to the Shia-Sunni rift in Pakistan. The Ghazal was orginally sung the Noor Jehan.

    Such literary ghazals does not fall in Ms. Lal sphere but u really sang her heart out in this performance.

    ReplyDelete