Sunday, 9 March 2008

Dagh-e-Dil Hum Ko: the abrasions to my heart - Iqbal Bano

Another attempt at translation:) I found a very weak translation of this beautiful Ghazal written by Baqi Siddique. I felt compelled to translate this and offer it the credit it is due. This version is sung by Iqbal Bano.

My translation is dedicated to all those who seek God through love.

"The angels were asked, what is heaven? It is a heart full of love. And what is hell? A heart without love..."

dagh-e-dil hum ko yaad aane lage
The abrasions to my heart are once again being rekindled
dagh-e-dil hum ko yaad aane lage
The abrasions to my heart are once again being rekindled

log apne diye jalaane lage

The abraders are re-igniting their flames
dagh-e-dil hum ko yaad aane lage
The abrasions to my heart are once again being rekindled

khud farebi si khud farebi hai
Indeed deception is deception in itself
khud farebi si khud farebi hai
Indeed deception is deception in itself
pas kay dhol bhi suhaane lage
The beloved so near is even mesmarising (Irony)
log apne diye jalane lage
The abraders are re-igniting their flames

ab to hota hai har kadam pe gumaan
At every step I fall into doubt
ab to hota hai har kadam pe gumaan
At every step I fall into doubt

hum ye kaise kadam uthane lage

For I wonder what type of step I am taking?
log apne diye jalaane lage
The abraders are re-igniting their flames

dagh-e-dil hum ko yaad aane lage
The abrasions to my heart are once again being rekindled

aik pal mein wahan sey hum uthe

I arose from that corner (of my heart) in a flash
aik pal mein wahan se hum uthe
I arose from that corner (of my heart) in a flash
bethney mein jahan zamane lage
Where it took me a few lifetimes to sit
log apne diye jalaane lage
The abraders are re-igniting their flames

dagh-e-dil hum ko yaad aane lage
The abrasions to my heart are once again being rekindled

apni qismat pe hai maqar kis ko
Tell me who has a grasp of their own fortune/destiny?
teer par ur ke bhi nishaane lage
Even after ones flight the arrow finds its victim

dagh-e-dil hum ko yaad aane lage
The abrasions to my heart are once again being rekindled

4 comments:

  1. love this ghazal and the lyrics are mesmerizing.u have done a marvelous effort in translating the lyrics into urdu

    ReplyDelete
  2. iam astonished by reading about the muslims of Scotland who r trying to build their identity and at the same time being closer to Allah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your translation efforts and find them very helpful in my paltry understanding of what I am hearing when I listen to ghazals. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete